The Dynamic Roles and Responsibilities of Data Governance Officer in the Era of Digital Disruption
In the Era of Digital Transformation, manufacturing business systems, production units, supply chains, the Internet of Things, and Robotics to just name a few tend to generate real-time data of high importance. To address and enhance this type of overwhelming data and make sound decisions the process of Data Governance is initiated. Data Governance is the comprehensive management of the availability, integrity, usability, and security of the data employed in Enterprise.
Data Governance Officer is the professional who leads the Data Governance process after taking into consideration many vital aspects. Though the roles and responsibilities of a Data Governance Officer differ from one enterprise to another, we will discuss those common and successful elements that many of the Data Governing Officers share in common.
Now Let us Discuss the Role and responsibilities of the Data Governance Officer
- An Ideal Data Governance Officer or Data Governance Manager will be ensuring adherence to an enterprise data governance framework for data practices, policies, and standards both at a technical and functional level. Data Governance Officer also serves as a single point of contact for data quality and governance.
- The goal of the Data Governance Officer is to enforce data practices as per changing regulatory policies in the enterprise and meet compliance requirements from time to time.
- Focus on minimizing the risk of regulatory fines.
- Ensures the Data is manageable and provides more support to accelerate data-driven digital transformation.
- Defines the roles and responsibilities related to Data Governance and ensures accountability for the stewardship and master data assets of the enterprise.
- Should serve as a liaison between business and its functional as well as technical areas of the technology and protect the sensitive and confidential data.
- Develop & Maintain inventory of the enterprise data.
- Facilitate the development and implementation of Data Protection, Data quality standards across the enterprise.
- Define the system and the indicators of the quality and performance metrics and ensure compliance with data-related standards and policies.
- To lead and coordinate with senior and top management such as IT business and Operations heads regarding Data Governance.
- To resolve end-to-end issues regarding Data Governance that may arise from different departments in the Enterprise.
- Design & Develop Data Governance RoadMap and provide reports regarding the progress from time to time.
- Eliminates redundancy and streamlines the external data sources.
- Identify the new business opportunities with the use of data assets to achieve efficiency and represent the data as the business asset.
- Lead on aligning respective data sharing between enterprise and its clients, vendors, and partners.
- Coordinate regarding the implementation of Data Governance Strategy across operational units
- Advise management regarding the Data Policy and also the emerging opportunities it brings.
- Ensure, Advice and Support compliance with the existing and relevant data laws and adhere to the industry standards and emerging best practices.
- Mitigate risks by monitoring enterprise performance regarding data-related goals and standards that add more value.
- Assigns the roles to the Data Users, Data Owners, and Data Stewards
- Handles a plethora of responsibilities in the realm of Data Governance and manages the Enterprise Data and leaves the Data Footprint.
Now let us understand the desired Skills of a Data Governance Officer
- Professional with a sense of mission and with a vision of transformation efforts
- Adaptability to the dynamic business environments and lead the team.
- Result Orientated
- Training & Development and Mentoring the Data Governance team.
- Should be equipped with the knowledge regarding the law and trends of the Data Policy.
Amurta’s DIP creates a Win-Win Situation by defining and implementing an Enterprise Data Governance Strategy that enables to drive Data Governance Framework for prioritization with policy engines. Furthermore, Amurta’s Data Insights Platform helps to monitor Data Quality and Data Consistency with effective Data Quality validation rules through Orchestration Engine.