What is a Data Steward? What are Data Steward Responsibilities, Types, and Benefits?An ideal person who is responsible for managing the data in an enterprise in terms of definitions, consistency, derivations, calculations integrated, and so on. Enterprises focus on better sources of data, as data is one of the most critical assets for any processes in an enterprise. Data should reflect in the form of information that can be delivered to the management or key decision-makers not only concisely, quickly but also more accurately.
Data Stewardship can be defined as the discipline for defining, implementing, and enforcing the responsibility and accountability of the enterprise data stakeholders. Data Stewardship as a business function facilitates the collaboration between IT and the business which not only drives the corrections of the data issues but also improves the overall data management process. One of the main purposes is context, content and quality, and business rules surrounding the data.
Data Stewards have a role in utilizing the enterprise data governance processes, responsibilities, guidelines, policies that are required for administering an organization’s total data in compliance with regulatory obligations. The ultimate object of a data steward is the data quality of the data set, data assets, data elements, and data records.
Let's understand Data Steward Responsibilities
Responsibilities of the data stewards may vary between institutions and enterprises.
- Has the clear list of value definitions if it is of code type
- Should not conflict with other data elements in the registry of metadata
- Has the documents on the sources and origin of authority on respective and each element of the metadata
- Good enough documentation on appropriate notes and usage
- Data should be still being used in other computer-related systems
- Data should be protected against any unauthorized change or access
- Should have unambiguous and clear data element definition
Let us understand the types of Data Stewards
Four types of data stewards are found within an enterprise and it also depends on responsibilities on the set of data stewardship.
Business Data Steward – Responsible for managing transactional and reference critical data that is created or used by one function related to the business
Data Object Data Steward – This is responsible for managing reference attributes and data of one enterprise’s data entity
System Data Steward – Responsible for management of data in one IT system
Process Data Steward – Responsible for management of data across one business-related process.
Benefits of Data Stewardship
- Swift Analysis
- Easy & mapping of data between the exchange documents and computer systems
- Improved control of risks related to legal, privacy, and errors, etc
- Lower costs related to migration to SOA( Service Oriented Architecture)